Summit proudly offers academic camps, themed camps, and healthy life & recreation camps for eight weeks during the summer for K-6th grade students. Summit’s summer camps are known in the community for their high-quality programming and small class sizes, providing an optimum learning environment. Morning and afternoon Extended Care (XDay) is also available.
Summer programs are open to all children in the Cedar Rapids metro area. For questions and more information, please email Summer Camp Director Emily Fleming.
UPDATE (6/1/20): Summit will offer ALL virtual Summer Camps this summer.
Reading & Writing Academic Camp, with Summit’s Miss Sue Menken
(K-6th grades, June 8-July 3, AM sessions, $400)
Take your reading, writing, and comprehension skills to the next level! Join our intensive and focused program for students in need of a boost in reading and writing, critical thinking, and creativity in language arts through Orton-Gillingham instruction. Students will be placed by their academic level in small groups of 2-3 to participate in Zoom conference calls 30 minutes per day.
The Great Summit Bake Off Camp, with Summit’s Miss Rachel Eilers
(4th-6th grades, June 22-26, 12:30-2:00 p.m. $125)
Do you have what it takes to be the next Summit baking champion?! For five fun-filled days, young bakers will experience a world of virtual hands-on baking with their peers. Learn how to read and follow a recipe, measure and mix, and the importance of kitchen safety. Best of all, we’ll have a blast creating, decorating, and tasting sweet treats! Parents and families – you are your child’s judging panel!
The Show Must Go On Theater Camp, with Summit’s Mr. Andrew Boddicker, and Ian Zahren (The Iowa Youth Performing Arts Company founder; The Children’s Theatre Company resident teaching artist/playwright/composer)
(4th-6th grades, June 29-July 3, 1-3:30 p.m. $125)
*Students will need access to Google Docs and Drive
Calling all performers! Future stars will collaborate to write and perform in an original play in just one week. You will learn the fundamental skills of playwriting, character development, and storytelling to cultivate and perform an original work. The week will culminate in a Zoom recording performance which will be edited and shared for all to see!
Beginning Spanish Camp
(1st-8th grades, June 29-July 3, morning or afternoon; $100)
How much Spanish can you learn in one week? Find out in this virtual beginning Spanish class. We will practice speaking in everyday situations and you will understand through pictures, games and stories. Start learning Spanish now to build your problem-solving skills, confidence and creativity. Students will be placed by their academic level in small groups of 4-6 to participate in Zoom conference calls 30 minutes per day.
Math Basics Academic Camp
(K-6th grades, July 6-July 31, 8:30-11:30 a.m.; $400)
Struggling with math computation? This class is designed to help close the gap to success with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division using manipulatives to strengthen concepts. This camp is appropriate for students with remedial math skills.
Math Enrichment Academic Camp
(1st-6th grades, July 6-July 31, 8:30-11:30 a.m.; $400)
Are you a math wiz who can’t get enough? Then this camp is for you! We’ll determine your understanding of math and challenge you to keep growing during the summer break. This camp is for students who desire to stay engaged mathematically over the summer and have fun, too!
- Camps run June 8-July 31, Monday-Friday.
- Morning camps run from 8:30-11:30 a.m. Afternoon camps run from 12:30-3:30 p.m.
- Registration is divided up by camp (themed, academic, healthly life and recreation) and you will need to know the dates of your camp(s) when you register online. Summit is using a new online registration system so returning families will need to set up a new account.
- We offer Extended Day Care in the morning and afternoon: 7:15-8:30 a.m. & 3:30-5:30 p.m.
- For students who are registered for a morning and afternoon camp within the same week, we offer free recess and lunch supervision over the lunch hour (11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.). Please bring a sack lunch that does not require heating or cooling. Student must be registered for a full day of camps to participate.
Contact Summer Camp Director Emily Fleming at 319-294-2036 | email@example.com.
- Academic camps may be paid in two installments. All summer tuition is due May 1, 2020. Camps not paid for in full by May 1 may lead to a student being removed from the camp roster.
- Registrations completed after May 1 will be charged in full.
- June camps will be confirmed May 15, 2020.
- July camps will be confirmed June 19, 2020.
Notice of cancelled camps (due to insufficient enrollment) will be sent to the e-mail provided during registration. All camps cancelled by Summit Schools will be refunded in full.
- NO REFUNDS will be issued after May 15, 2020 but a credit will be allotted to the family’s account to be used during Summit’s 2020 summer camps.
- Waitlists are held until enough registrations have been collected to open an additional section(s) and staffing has been secured.
Extended Day Care is only offered to families who pre-register. All Extended Day Care MUST be pre-purchased. “Drop-ins” will only be accepted if spots are available in accordance with DHS guidelines and must be paid for upon drop-off or pick-up. Online registration is available here.
Unfortunately, we do not have scholarships or financial aid available for 2020 Summer Camps.
We carefully select experienced teachers who have strong skills working with children. Some Summit teachers will return to instruct over the summer. Our class sizes are 16 students max to one teacher to ensure quality instruction takes place.
Academic camps may be paid in two installments. All other camps must be paid in full. All summer tuition is due May 1, 2020. No refunds will be issued after May 15, 2020 but a credit will be allotted to the family’s account for use at Summit’s 2020 Summer Camps.
Our registration site will only list those classes that are not full. For classes that are full, you will see a waitlist option.
Yes, depending on the type of camp. Academic camps are offered in four-week sessions. Themed and Healthy Life & Rec camps are offered on a weekly basis. Please see our Summer Camp flyer for more information.
Please choose the grade your child will enter in the 2020/2021 academic school year. Camps are for K-6th graders, although recently graduated 6th graders may also enroll.